WHY PUBLISH WITH UBC PRESS?
• Our award-winning list: UBC Press publishes books by leading scholars and up-and-coming academics, and our books consistently garner praise and win awards for both content and design. This has everything to do with our high scholarly standards and our dedication to excellence.
• Efficiency: UBC Press is one of the most progressive and entrepreneurial university presses in North America. We move quickly to get your book published and focus resources on expertly marketing books to regional, national, and international markets.
• Location: UBC Press has offices with editorial staff in Vancouver and Toronto. We also have national sales coverage, allowing us to reach your readership as effectively as possible.
• Size: As a mid-sized publisher, UBC Press is big enough to have efficient systems but small enough to retain a personal touch. We view authors as our most important resource and strive to keep the lines of communication wide open throughout the editorial, production, and marketing processes.
• Editorial commitment: UBC Press has a dynamic, energetic, and experienced team of editors with a strong reputation for interacting with authors in a timely, responsive, and hands-on manner. They work hard to ensure that authors find the experience of working with the Press positive and rewarding.
• Production and design: UBC Press books are widely recognized for the excellence of their design and regularly receive major design awards. Moreover, our skilled team of production editors is one of the finest in the business.
• Technological expertise: Our state-of-the-art production procedures, combined with access to some of the best designers, typesetters, cartographers, and editors, enable us to produce finished books without undue delay, rivalling and often surpassing other scholarly presses in Canada, and to an unparalleled standard.
• Marketing: UBC Press puts substantial resources into promoting books to scholars, bookstores, and course markets. We conduct a wide range of promotional activities, advertise in scholarly journals and general publications, field a national team of trade representatives, and have a full-time staff to promote books with potential for course use at universities and colleges.
• International connections: UBC Press has excellent marketing and distribution agents who specialize in academic books and hold stock in their own distribution facilities in Seattle, London, and Hong Kong.
WHAT DO OUR AUTHORS SAY ABOUT US?
Here are some examples:
“I have now worked with five different presses in Canada and found UBC Press by far the most efficient. At the moment it is publishing more high-quality books on or about Canada than any other Canadian publisher.”
– Phillip Buckner, editor of Canada and the End of Empire and co-editor of Canada and the British World: Culture, Migration, and Identity
“UBC press is the Avis among Canadian university presses. It is small, efficient, and its staff really do try harder.”
– Margaret MacMillan, co-editor of Parties Long Estranged: Canada and Australia in the Twentieth Century and author of (the one that got away) Paris 1919: Six Months That
Changed the World
“From the first steps of manuscript development through the review, production, and marketing processes, UBC Press offers writers the kind of editorial care we all dream of.”
– Sylvia Bashevkin, author of Tales of Two Cities: Women and Municipal Restructuring in London and Toronto and editor of Opening Doors Wider: Women’s Political Engagement in Canada
WHAT MAKES OUR EDITORIAL DEPARTMENT STAND APART
If you are trying to decide among publishers for your manuscript, you will probably want to know what makes the Editorial Department at UBC Press stand apart. Most significant is the care and attention we give to authors and their work. We encourage prospective authors to talk to others in their field of expertise who have published elsewhere to see what their experience was. Then, if you decide to submit your manuscript to us, we aim to be communicative, engaged, and receptive throughout -- letting you know where, at all times, your manuscript is in the process. Should you wish for editorial feedback on sample chapters before the manuscript goes into review, you can discuss this with your editor. We review all paperwork before sending it off to the various funding agencies and publication committees, and this attentiveness has a real impact on how efficiently things are handled. We also discuss the kinds of readers who would be suitable for your manuscript, then help you “interpret” the reports, winnowing out what is important and what is peripheral. As much as possible, we try to make this a collaborative process.